Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Adventures with My RubiksTouchCube - Week 1




This was the sound that greeted me once I figured out how to scramble the cube. Brainiac that I am, I tried to do something with the colorful cube before I read the little manual that came with it. Mistake. If you want to get the most out of the experience, read the manual.

The first thing that you hear is the little digital tune that it plays when you turn it on. It sits there in all its brightly lit wonder, daring you to scramble it and see if you can solve the mystery that is the digital cube. If you dare, you push the "S", and in 40 moves, the cube scrambles itself. Let the solving begin.

Unlike the old Rubiks cube that you manually moved rows around on, there are no moving parts with the RubiksTouchCube. Like my favorite iPhone, you move the rows by sliding your finger across the row that you wish to move. Hint: Only the rows on the top move, so if you want to change the ones on other sides, you have to turn the cube over to that row.

Each side of the cube has one symbol embedded into the center cube. These symbols allow you to turn the cube on and off, adjust the sound, undo scramble, hint and solve. So, you don't need to feel totally helpless. The cube will give you hints; it's hard to miss something blinking at you. If you give up, the cube will solve it for you. That in itself was amazing to watch.

So, how have I done after a week? I almost had it solved. I had the top and bottom squares all in one color. However, on each of the remaining four, the center square was the wrong color. I was proud of myself, so proud that I just didn't understand why I could not just do the same thing the next time.

The bottom line for the RubiksTouchCube? It is a big, beautiful, colorful cube of fun. I think that my son and I are going to have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment